- 6 years software development experience.
- Commercial experience with C, Rust, Golang.
- 250 mainline Linux kernel patches.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in computer science.
- 17 years experience using Linux.
- Founder of Central Coast Linux Users Group.
Open Source Experience
Open source contributions made to the following projects, among others:
- bdk (Rust).
- rust-secp256k1 (Rust).
- rust-libp2p (Rust).
- Linux Kernel (C ).
- ZFS (C ).
- Kubernetes (Go).
- Gonum graph library (Go).
- OpenBazaar-Server (Python).
- Guile Scheme (Scheme, C).
- Binutils, GNU Assembler (Documentation).
Open source contributions currently focus on Bitcoin and Rust. Author and maintainer of a libp2p transport for routing libp2p traffic over Tor.
Linux kernel contributor from May 2016 to June 2019. Author and maintainer of
intree kernel Perl script
scripts/leaking_addresses.pl. Involved in kernel
hardening, documentation, and memory management. 250+ patches merged into the
Two months full time work on OpenBazaar Server code in Python. First non-company contributor to the project. Most patches were unit testing and code refactoring. Some work on the command line interface and interoperability between operating systems.
November 2020 - present: Senior Blockchain Security Engineer Crypto.com
Rust developer, working on wallet software that runs in the cloud targeting institutional customers. Uses a multi-party signature scheme.
June 2019 – October 2020: Software Engineer - Blockchain CoBlox
Rust developer, worked on reference implementation of the COMIT protocol. The COMIT protocol is aiming to solve trustless exchange of assets across blockchains i.e., multi-ledger atomic swap. Role involved protocol design, documentation, development, testing. Codebase in Rust with end to end tests in Typescript. Solution uses peer to peer networking via libp2p.
April 2017 – May 2019: Software Developer Crowd Coded Pty Ltd
Contract software developer. Role involved:
- Development and maintenance of userspace applications in Golang, Bash, and Python.
- Container networking (Golang).
- Linux kernel development. Memory management, device drivers, security (kernel hardening).
January 2018 - October 2018: Software Developer AppOrbit Incorporated
Contract software developer. Develop software in the field of container networking. Role involved debugging and developing new features. Code base predominantly Golang but also includes userspace C code and an out of tree kernel module. Testing done in Python, Bash, C, and Golang. Responsible for writing and maintaining end to end tests (written in Python and shell).
April 2015 – March 2017: Software Development Apprenticeship
Two year self directed and funded software development apprenticeship. See below for details.
January 2013 – March 2015: Sales Manager Black Swan Trading Company Pty Ltd
Sales and logistics. Managed a staff of 5.
January 2007 – December 2012: Support Technician Sydney City Networks
Mac OSX support technician. Residential and small office network design, installation, and support.
Online courses (Coursera.org)
- Programming Languages, Part A - completed 2021
- Introduction to Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science Specialization
- Cryptography 1 - completed 2021
- Introduction to Calculus - completed 2020
- Introduction to Mathematical Thinking - completed 2020
Graduate Diploma in Computer Science [Pass with High Distinction]
University of New England, Australia (completed 2014).
- Parallel and Distributed Computing.
- Computer Architecture and Assembler.
- C++ Programming.
- Programming Languages for Artificial Intelligence.
- Web and Internet Programming.
- Information Technology Project (dentist patient management application in Objective C).
- Graduate Diploma in Computer Science Project (UNIX shell written in C).
Bachelor of Science
University of Sydney, Australia (completed 2008).
- Awarded Bachelor of Science majoring in computer science.
- Completed double major, software development and computer networking.
24 month software development apprenticeship. Worked assiduously on becoming a competent, professional programmer. Maintained a minimum 40 hour working week (typically 50+). Logged hours and topics worked. Topics include; computer architecture, programming languages and theory, operating systems, data structures and algorithms, professional software development methodology and practices. See below ‘code written in last 12 months’ and ~/books. Text highlights include;
- The Art of Computer Programming (volumes 1 and 2) Donald E. Knuth
- Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment W. Richard Stevens, Stephen A. Rag
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs Harold Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman with Julie Sussman
- Applied Cryptography Bruce Schneier
- Clean Code, A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship Robert C. Martin
See Github repository for code written during apprenticeship. All code worked on is open source unless explicitly requested otherwise (i.e Project Euler, Eudyptula Challenge).
Founded the Central Coast Linux Users Group of New South Wales in February 2014. Announced the intent prior, at Linux open source conference, Linux.conf.au. Lead role in organizing and administering the group. Set up a unincorporated association for governance. Acquired sponsorship of venue to hold monthly meetings. Financially supported the group for the first three years.
Given presentations on software related topics at the Open Source Summit North America 2017, Central Coast Linux Users Group (multiple) and the Australian Computer Society (2015).
Motivation for Writing Code
- Collaborating with others to produce the best possible codebase/project.
- Continually learning and refining skills and technique (the craft).
- How good ‘clean code’ looks on the screen.
- The feeling when an insurmountable problem dissolves.
- Constantly refining.